May 1, 2022, 07:39am
Dozens of women and children have been evacuated from the besieged Azovstal steel plan in the Ukrainian port city of Mariupol, that Russia now claims is under its control, a move that comes amidst a United Nations effort to broker a cease-fire to allow safe.
In a video posted on Telegram, a deputy commander of the Ukrainian paramilitary group Azov regiment said that they were able to pick up around 20 women and children from the plant.
Palamar told the New York Times that the efforts to evacuate the industrial complex will continue as long as the Russians don't start shooting again.
The Russian defense ministry said on Sunday that 46 people had been evacuated from the plant in two groups.
Russian forces have taken control of the rest of the city, but it is not clear how many people are still in the complex.
The Ukrainian government and multiple international entities have urged Russia to allow all trapped Ukrainians to leave the plant.
Vehicles with United Nations markings entered Mariupol on Saturday, but it's not clear if they aided in the process.
Russian President Vladimir Putin claimed last month that his forces had captured Mariupol. Putin ordered his troops to lay siege to the industrial complex so that no one can escape. The United Nations is in talks with officials in Moscow and Kyiv to lead an effort to evacuate from the plant.
The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs is currently engaged in high-level engagements with all the governments, Russia and Ukraine, to make sure that you can save civilians.
Russia says 46 people left the area on Saturday.