Deadly bacteria found in aromatherapy spray sold at Walmart

Walmart is recalling almost 4,000 bottles of an aromatherapy spray product that was linked to a bacterial outbreak. A bottle of Better Homes & Gardens Lavender & Chamomile Essential oil Infused Aromatherapy Room spray with Gemstones was found to be positive for B. pseudomallei. This is a rare, sometimes fatal bacteria that can cause melioidosis.
According to U.S. Health officials, an aromatherapy spray product sold by Walmart contained a rare and sometimes fatal bacteria. This product may be linked to a mysterious outbreak in the bacterial disease Melioidosis, which has sickened four Americans this year.

Researchers are puzzled by the August melioidosis outbreak. The bacteria responsible for this disease, Burkholderia pseudomallei (Burkholderia pseudomallei), grows in tropical climates. They are most common in Southeast Asia and northern Australia. Live Science reported that none of the four Americans who contracted melioidosis were from outside the United States. Two of the four U.S. victims died from the disease.

Officials went to the homes of four of the patients in search of imported products suspected of being the cause of the infection. They found a probable suspect in the case: An aromatherapy room spray called "Better Homes & Gardens Lavender & Chamomile Essential oil Infused Aromatherapy Room Sprayed with Gemstones" was discovered in the home of one of four patients suffering from melioidosis. According to a statement by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the product tested positive for B. pseudomallei.

Officials are currently testing to see if the smelltherapy spray bottle's bacteria genetic fingerprint matches the one that infected the four victims. This would establish a link between the product and the outbreak. The CDC stated that officials are currently investigating whether other melioidosis victims may have used the same product or similar products.

Similar: 28 deadly infectious diseases

According to a CDC statement, the aromatherapy product was sold in 55 Walmart stores and online at Walmart between February 2021 and October 2021. Walmart has recalled nearly 4,000 bottles of this line aromatherapy spray products in six different scents. You can find the complete recall notice, which was issued by Walmart and the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

According to the recall notice, the recalled products were manufactured in India and were sold in 5-ounce glass containers with "Better Homes and Gardens Aromatherapy."

The CDC has detailed instructions for those who bought the recalled products. These instructions include how to return and handle the product. According to the CDC statement, they should immediately stop using the product but not throw away the bottles. According to the statement, they should instead double-bag the bottle in clear zip top bags and place them in small cardboard boxes before returning the product to Walmart.

They should wash all sheets and linens that have been exposed to the spray and dry them with a dryer. According to the statement, people should be careful with these products and wash their hands after touching them.

There are many symptoms that can be caused by melioidosis. Live Science reported that symptoms in the current cases, which occurred in Texas, Georgia, Texas, and Minnesota, included cough, shortness of breath, weakness, nausea, vomiting and intermittent fever.

The CDC stated that anyone who has used the product in the last 21 days and is suffering from symptoms of melioidosis must seek medical attention and inform their doctor. The statement stated that doctors may recommend antibiotics for people who have not yet developed symptoms after using the product.

Original publication on Live Science