Texas linebacker Jake Ehlinger died of accidental overdose, family says

Jake Ehlinger's family said that he died from an accidental overdose of Xanax laced fentanyl.
Ehlinger was the younger brother of Sam Ehlinger (former Texas quarterback and current Indianapolis Colts quarterback). He was discovered unresponsive on May 6. He was twenty-one years old.

The family released a statement saying that Jake died from an accidental overdose of Xanax laced toxic drugs, including Fentanyl. "The widespread distribution of counterfeit pills is a significant problem in our country, especially in schools, colleges and universities.

"As Jake's family continues to grieve, we felt it important to share the details in the hope that Jake won't have died in vain." We hope Jake's story will bring light to this issue and help other families avoid losing a loved one.

The Ehlinger family was also heartbroken by Jake's passing. Ross Ehlinger, Sam's father and Jake's grandfather, died from a heart attack in San Francisco in 2013.

Steve Sarkisian, a Texas coach, called Jake's death "a tragedy beyond words" in May.

Sarkisian released a statement saying that words cannot describe the sadness and the immense void in our hearts. However, his heart goes out to Sam, Jena and Morgen. "Jake was an incredible person. He was everything you could want in a student-athlete. He was a Longhorn, which meant everything to him. He truly lived the ideal of being one.

Jake Ehlinger was a Texas player for two seasons.