Manchester airport’s Terminal 2 reopens after reports of suspicious package

After a police investigation, Terminal 2 at Manchester Airport has been reopened following a report of a suspicious package.
After Greater Manchester police established a cordon to handle the situation, the terminal was shut down and passengers were evacuated.

A spokesperson for Manchester Airport stated that the investigation into a suspicious package in Terminal 2 has concluded that there was no security threat. The cordon had been lifted.

We are grateful for the patience of our passengers.

As part of their investigation, the police sent a bomb disposal unit to the airport. A spokesperson stated that inquiries are ongoing.

Scott Green, assistant chief constable at GMP added: Thankfully the package was examined and found not to be a viable device.

According to an earlier statement, the airport stated that police were investigating reports of suspicious packages at the terminal. All flights were diverted into Terminal 1.

The airport stated that a controlled evacuation was underway. It also said: "We are in close contact" with Greater Manchester police who are handling the response and will provide an update as soon as possible.

According to the airport, flights that were scheduled to operate out of Terminal 2 would likely be diverted to Terminal 1.

As part of the evacuation, police blocked all access to the terminal.

A spokesperson for Greater Manchester Police stated earlier today that police were called to report a suspicious package at Terminal 2 of Manchester Airport at 3.20 pm today.

As per standard procedure, the terminal was evacuated. A cordon was put in place to protect personnel while an assessment takes place.

Manchester Evening News was informed by a passenger that his sister and family had been evacuated from the airport. They were then required to move to the other terminal.

He said that the airport staff were calm, and that his family was moved to the gate area away from shops and duty-free.

The other terminals of the airport are on the opposite side of the airport. They continued to operate as normal during the incident.