Man on parole for kidnapping held mother and daughter in their Chicago home, cut them with butcher knife and set building on fire in dayslong ordeal, prosecutor says

Authorities allege that a man with a history in kidnapping and violence towards children repeatedly held his roommate, and her daughter, against their will, repeatedly cutting them with butcher knives. The woman had told him that he needed to leave because he was being threatened by the landlord.
Donald Williams, 38, could not appear before Judge David Navarro on Sunday. He was suffering second-degree burns to the chest and arms from a fire Williams allegedly started at the end of the harrowing, days-long ordeal. Police and an investigator for Department of Children and Family Services were unable to help Williams and his daughter.

Williams was charged with two counts each of aggravated unlawful restriction, one count each of aggravated domestic battery, and one count each of aggravated arson.

Navarro stated that there will be a finding regarding Donald Williams' physical incapacity, stating at the beginning of the case that Williams could not appear and his court-appointed lawyer couldn't speak with him.

Williams was released from parole in 2008 for an armed aggravated kidnapping charge. This case was detailed in court on Sunday. It has many similarities to the new charges Williams faces, which include allegedly kidnapping a teenage relative of his ex-girlfriend. Tandra Simonton, spokesperson for Cook County state attorneys, stated that Williams is currently being held in Illinois on parole violations.

(Williams), who is currently on parole for an aggravated child abduction conviction, was placed under a parole hold by IDOC. Simonton explained that he cannot be released even though bail was posted.

Navarro lamented that Williams could not be held without bail due to the parole hold and set bail at $1million.

Navarro stated that he believes he is a danger to the community. The bond should be set at $1 million cash. To be very clear, my intention is not for him to be released.

Linda Patton, Assistant States Attorney for the District of Columbia, stated that the victim was 31 years old and knew Williams through her boyfriend. He moved into her apartment in May but her landlord informed her recently that he couldn't live there. The prosecutor stated that Williams allegedly attacked the victim after she told him he needed to leave. He allegedly started to punch her in the face with a closed fist while his daughter watched and shouted at him to stop.

Continue the story

He took out a butcher knife, and began to poke at Victim 1, slashing her around the head, arms, and legs. Patton stated that he then stabbed her in the right thigh. He began shouting at her and asking her many questions. If she didn't answer his questions in the right way, he would poke Victim 2, her 11 year-old daughter with the same butcher knives.

Patton stated that the mother and daughter were being held at the apartment in Grand Crossing, on the Far South Side. They could not leave the living area. The prosecutor stated that the woman was allowed to call work on Wednesday morning to call her daughter from school. However, they were still held against their will. Patton said that the 31-year old was allowed to visit a hospital to treat the injury to her thigh on Wednesday. However, she was not permitted to leave the apartment with her daughter.

Because Victim 1 had not been stabbed for too long, the hospital was unable to provide stitches. She was taped and returned to her apartment. This was out of concern for her daughters safety. (Williams) Patton stated that she did text her landlord while in the hospital to inform him that they needed assistance and were being held at their apartment against their will.

The prosecutor stated that the eleven-year-old was allowed into school on Thursday. Patton stated that police were called to the address in the afternoon. Williams, however, allegedly refused to open the door for authorities.

The DCFS investigators also visited the apartment later that day. Williams, according to the prosecution, reportedly permitted the investigator in.

Patton stated that there were moments during the conversation when Williams looked away from them.

Patton stated that Williams tried to convince the woman to leave her apartment, but Williams said she couldn't because of the injury to her thigh. The woman was not present when the investigator left and she went to school with her daughters.

Later in the night, the investigator returned with officers and was able to rescue the mother and her daughter from the building.

The girl and the woman were brought to Trinity Hospital where they were listed as in good health.

According to Chicago police, Williams allegedly barricaded himself in the apartment and remained there until police arrived to arrest him.

Authorities said that he set fire to the apartment building around 4:45 a.m. on Friday. The flames were so severe that seven residents couldn't return to their apartments. According to police, he then jumped out of a third-story window and suffered unknown injuries. Officials said that no one else was injured in the fire.

Police said Williams was taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center and placed under arrest.

Patton provided details about Williams' criminal history in court on Sunday. Patton stated that Williams was charged with domestic battery after allegedly pulling his 2-month-old daughter from her arms and grasping her neck.

After being convicted of 2008 aggravated kidnapping while arming charge, he was sentenced to 12 year imprisonment.

Patton stated that he grabbed the sister of his ex-girlfriend at 14 years old, held a knife to her throat, and forced his way into her apartment. He held her there for over 11 hours.

Twitter @312BreakingNews