Last update on. From the section Cricket
After the series was drawn, Australia retained the Ashes for 2019
Tim Paine, Australia's captain, says that the Ashes will continue this winter, even though some England players choose not to travel due to Covid restrictions.
Joe Root and the other England team members have expressed concerns about the tour, citing "bubble fatigue".
Many are contemplating leaving the Ashes if they are not allowed to travel to Australia with their families.
"The Ashes will go ahead. Paine stated that the first Test will be held on December 8, regardless of Joe's presence.
He said this to radio station SEN Hobart: "It will be worked out over us and then they will have a choice about whether or not to get on that airplane."
"No one is forcing any England players to come. This is the beauty of the world that we live in: you have the option to choose. Don't go if you don't wish to.
Cricket Australia submitted proposals to the England & Wales Cricket Board. The Board has responded asking for clarifications in a variety of areas.
Australia has the most stringent Covid-19 protocols anywhere in the world. This is complicated by the fact that the five Tests will be held in five states which each have their own Covid rules.
Root, the England captain, stated earlier this week that it was difficult to make a decision until you know what it looks like.