Dear Sophie: When can I apply for my US work permit? – TechCrunch

Dear Sophie is back with another edition. This advice column answers questions related to immigration and working for technology companies.
Sophie Alcorn, a Silicon Valley immigration lawyer, said that your questions are crucial to the spreading of knowledge that allows people around the world to reach their goals and overcome borders. I'd love to answer any questions you have about Silicon Valley, whether you are a founder, people ops or looking for a job.

Extra Crunch members have access to Dear Sophie columns weekly; use promo code ALCORN for a 50% discount on a one-year or two-year subscription.

Dear Sophie

My husband accepted a job at Silicon Valley. His new employer will sponsor him for an E-3 visa.

I would like to keep working even if we move to the United States. I am aware that I can obtain a work permit using the E-3 visa for spouses.

What is the earliest time I can apply for my U.S. Work Permit?

Adaptive Aussie

Dear Adaptive

Thank you for your question. And congrats on your new employment opportunities. To find out who is eligible for a work permit, or Employment Authorization Documents, (EADs), what they can do, how to apply, and how long it takes, listen to my podcast episode.

Once you have arrived in the United States with E-3 status (a professional visa for Australians), you can apply for a permit to work. When you apply for your E-3 visa, it is not possible to apply at the Sydney consulate for a work permit. You will need to complete Form I-765 (Application For Employment Authorization) along with supporting documents. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) After your USCIS approval, you cannot start work until you have received the physical, plastic, EAD card. This proves to potential employers that you are authorized to work here.

What time will it take?

USCIS currently has a backlog and takes approximately 11 months to process EAD application. An EAD application that is incomplete or erroneous can lead to further delays. I recommend that you hire an immigration attorney to help you submit your application. An immigration attorney will also be able to discuss other options that may allow you to get started sooner.