Morocco squad escorted out of Guinea after apparent coup

Last update on. From the section Sport Africa
On Sunday, soldiers claimed to have dismantled the government of Guinea

After an attempted coup in Conakry, the Moroccan national team was taken out of Guinea. They were due to play a qualifier for the World Cup on Monday.

After hours of intense gunfire near the presidential Palace, Fifa and Caf, the football governing bodies, postponed their game.

The Moroccan delegation was still trapped in Conakry hotel. Coach Vahid Halilhodzic said that he heard gunfire "nearly every day" external-link. This was as the country's embassies tried to arrange their escape.

Roman Saiss, Wolves defender, is the Moroccan captain. The team also includes QPR striker Ilias chair and Watford duo Adam Masina & Imran Louza as well as Paris Saint-Germain's Achraf Haimi.

After many hours of uncertainty, Halilhodzic said that some players were 'worried' about their match officials. Finally, the Moroccans and match officials were escorted to the airport. They flew out Sunday night.

"Guinea's borders remain closed at the moment, but match officials and Moroccans were granted special authorization to leave," Cellou Diallo told BBC Sport Africa.

An earlier in the day, soldiers appeared on Guinea's national TV, claiming to have dismantled the government. However, the defense ministry stated that the attempt at takeover was stopped by the presidential guard.

After an unconfirmed video showing him being surrounded by soldiers, the fate of President Alpha Cond of Guinea was not clear.

Fifa, Caf and the UN have issued a joint statement stating that "the current political and security situation is very volatile in Guinea." Fifa's and Caf decided to postpone the match in order to ensure safety and security for all participants and match officials.

Sunday's matches

The pitch was a surprise. Namibia won 1-0 in Togo.

Elmo Kambindu made a stunning overhead kick in the second period. The goal was allowed to stand despite replays that suggested the forward was offside.

The Namibians are now at the top of the group after gaining a point against Congo. However, Senegal, who beat Togo in their opening match, can make it clear by winning in Brazzaville on Tuesday.

Gabon and Egypt drew 1-1 on Sunday evening. The score was reduced to ten men by Omar Gaber's 71st minute dismissal. However, Mostafa Mohammed saved the visitors with a late equaliser.

Gabon's lead was given by Jim Allevinah two minutes after Gaber had red, but Egypt, Liverpool's Mohamed Salah, won the match against Angola after missing it due to Covid-related travel problems. Egypt won Group F with four points.

If they win in Angola on Tuesday, Libya will be able to move ahead of Egypt.

An earlier match saw Rwanda draw 1-1 with Kenya. Michael Olunga's goal in the 9th minute was cancelled by Abdul Rwatubyaye shortly afterwards in Group E.