Man grabs gun from dying 24-year-old son’s hands after shootout with off-duty NYPD officers and opens fire

NEW YORK A man was lying in a Bronx street, having been shot by police. His father took the gun and continued the fight with officers.
Police said that two off-duty officers saw the 24-year-old son shoot at a man near Valentine Avenue in the West Bronx shortly after 4 AM.

Cops stated that the father and son were involved in an argument with several people at the corner. The confrontation turned physical, and the son pulled out his gun.

A resident said that it was more than 10 shots. They were still banging on the windows when I got there. Bop bop bop bop bop bop bop bop bop bop bop bop bop bop bop bop bop bop bop bop bop then stopped. Bop bop bop bop.

After finishing their workday, the officers were dressed in plainclothes and asked the shooter for his gun. However, the gunman pointed at them and started unloading the weapon, officials stated. Nobody was hurt.

Cops stated that the police returned fire on the gunman and struck him once in the chest.

After hearing the shots, uniformed officers from the 46th Precinct Station House were seen rushing the area.

Juanita Holmes, Chief of Patrol at the NYPD, stated that officers immediately began to help the 24-year old male after the shooting.

Police said that the gunman's father, a 45-year old man, took the weapon from his dying son and started firing at police officers. However, no one was hit. The dad was not struck by the police fire.

Sources said that surveillance video captured the father weaving between cars and walking around the block. He then returned to the scene hoping cops wouldn't recognize him.

The father gave the gun to his daughter and tried to flee, but police quickly arrested him.

According to a source, the dad has about 60 previous arrests, including drug possession, assault, and weapon possession. Sources say that his son was only arrested for minor offenses like aggravated driving while not licensed.

Continue the story

He wasn't a bad man, but he did get into some trouble, according to a father friend. It sounds a lot like a father protecting his child. It was sad, but it happened.

EMS rushed the boy to St. Barnabas Hospital, but he couldn't be saved.

Police said that both officers were taken by police to Jacobi Medical Center because they had ringing in their ears.

The father handed the gun to the woman who ran away just like the shooters' intended target.

Police said that charges against the father are pending.

It makes me feel uneasy. It's not safe. Joe Dumessi (37), who moved in the area about a week ago, stated that he was surprised by this. Perhaps one day, I will get up and buy something in the evening and it could be like that.