Slain Marine who cradled baby at Kabul airport loved her job

A mother who carried a baby in her arms while at the airport. She also posted on social media that her love for her job. Young husband and father of a baby. Another man who wanted to join the military. One man who had hoped to be a sheriff's deputy after his deployment. Details about the deaths of 13 U.S. soldiers in the suicide bombing attack at Afghanistan's Kabul airport that claimed more than 160 Afghan lives have been revealed.
One Marine, one Navy sailor, and one Army soldier died in the attack. 18 other U.S. personnel were also wounded. The bombing was carried out by an affiliate of the Islamic State group. It was the deadliest day since 2011, according to the U.S.

These are the stories of those who were killed and the people who mourn them.


One week before her death, Sgt. Nicole Gee held a baby in her arms while she waited at Kabul's airport. The photo was posted to Instagram by Nicole Gee, who wrote: I love my job.

Gee, 23 years old, is a maintenance technician for the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina.

Brig. Brig. Gee and the other.

Sgt. Mallory Harrison, who lived three years with Gee, wrote about the pain of her death.

Harrison posted on Facebook, "I can't describe the feeling that I get when force myself to return to reality and think about how I never will see her again." It was the work she loved, helping others. There was an explosion. She was gone in a flash.

Gees' Instagram page also shows her wearing fatigues and holding a rifle while walking alongside a group of people who are crowded into a large transport aircraft. She wrote: escorting the evacuees onto a bird.

She is seen riding a camel in Saudi Arabia and wearing a bikini on the Greek island. In Spain, she holds a beer. One photo from Kuwait this month shows her smiling with pride at her promotion to sergeant.

Continue the story

Harrison stated that her generation of Marines hears war tales from veterans of the Iraq or Afghanistan conflicts. But they seem distant until the peaceful floating you were on becomes your friends never coming home.

Gees' car was still parked at Camp Lejeune. Harrison thought about all the Marines that had walked past it while she was away.

Some knew her. She said that some of them did not know her. It was all gone. They all walked past it. The war stories, the losses. It's not so far away anymore.


Lance Cpl. Rylee McCollum is a Marine, native of Bondurant in Wyoming. His wife, Cheyenne McCollum said that she was expecting a baby in three months.

McCollum stated that McCollum was excited to become a father and would be a great dad. McCollum said that her brother was a Marine, before he knew he could be one. ... He would carry his toy rifle around and wear his sister's pink princess snow boots. It was either hunting or he were a Marine. Sometimes, it would just be a T-shirt and nothing underneath.

McCollum stated that her brother was interested in becoming a history teacher after he had completed his service. Roice McCollum, a sister to McCollum, said that her brother was in his first deployment at the time of the evacuations in Afghanistan.

Cheyenne McCollum stated that we want people to know that these kids are willing to sacrifice themselves. He has a loving family and a wife, as well as a child that he will never meet.

Regi Stone, the father to Rylee McCollum's friend, said McCollum was a smart, resilient, and courageous kid. Stone shared a letter that his wife Kim wrote to Eli Stone, their son who is in the military, and has been deployed overseas. Kim shared that she recalled telling her friends to run the opposite way if they have to go in first. She also wrote that the two of them agreed that if we die doing this, then we will die doing what we love.


Lance Cpl. Lance Cpl. He asked a young boy to tell him hello in one clip.

Nikoui asked, leaning in to capture a video with the boy. We were heroes, now.

Paul Arreola, a family friend, said that the videos showed "the heart and love of this young man."

He said that the family was just devastated. Arreola described Nikoui, a young man with incredible potential who longed to become a Marine. He set out to accomplish his goal. His parents and three siblings are his survivors.

He loved the country and all that it stands for. He said it was so difficult to believe that we have lost him.

Nikoui was also in JROTC. The Norco High School Air Force JROTC posted that he was among the best Air Force JROTC Cadets. Kareem had always wanted to be a Marine and was determined to become one.


As a steady stream stopped by from offering condolences, friends, coaches and teachers stopped by the Ohio home of Navy Hospital Corpsman Maxton Max Soviaks family to offer their condolences, the flag at half-staff was displayed in front of the Ohio house where they live.

Berlin Heights native Soviak was remembered for being a friend and well-liked person who enjoyed having fun. He was a member the state champion wrestling team, and reached the final four football playoffs twice in a row. He was the brother of 12 siblings.

His family released a statement saying that Max was a loving son who loved his family and his community. He also planned to continue his career in the U.S. Navy. We are so heartbroken by this news, and will miss Max greatly.

In 2017, Soviak graduated Edison High School. Fans paid tribute to Soviak by observing a moment silence at Friday's football game.

Vince Ragnoni was Max's electrical technology teacher. He said that Max is always smiling. Max loved to make people laugh and was good at pulling off silly things.

In September 2017, he enlisted and attended Hospital Corpsman school in San Antonio, Texas before completing postings at Camp Pendleton and Guam.

FaceTime was his last words to his mother. He assured her that he would be safe.

"Don't worry mom, my boys got me," he added. "They will not let anything happen to my baby."


Marine Cpl. Humberto Sanchez was one of 17 high school graduates who joined the military upon graduation.

Principal Matt Jones stated that Sanchez was a Logansport High School varsity soccer player and was a part of the homecoming court in his senior year. Jones described Sanchez as a dedicated artist, who took art classes in addition to honors and dual-credit college courses.

Jones stated that Humberto was an athletic, bright young man who was well-liked and liked by his soccer teammates, coaches, and teachers. Humberto was proud to have the Marine uniform on and served his country.


Lance Cpl. Dylan Merola informed his mother that he would not be able speak for a while as he was being relocated to another location in Afghanistan.

Cheryl Merola, KCAL-TV, said that he left his last words to Cheryl Merola: "I love you, and Ill talk with you as soon as i get home."

Family members claimed that Merola, a Rancho Cucamonga native, was only in the country for less than two weeks at the time he was shot and killed.

After his military service, he planned to pursue engineering studies in college.

Fans were informed by Los Osos High School that the school had received "devastating news" before Friday's football game. A moment of silence was observed in his memory.

His GoFundMe account had already surpassed its goal of $15,000 Saturday afternoon.

Dylan was a loved son, brother and great grandchild, nephew, great friend, and brave soldier who made the ultimate sacrifice at Hamid Karzai International Airport's Abbey Gate during the evacuation," the announcement stated.

His mother, a tearful one, said that he was one the most special children ever.

She said that he was kind, loving, and generous to everyone. He would do anything for anyone.


Marine Lance Cpl. Jared Schmitz was born in St. Louis and was part of a group sent back to Afghanistan by Marine Lance Cpl.

He had always wanted to do this, and I have never seen a young man work as hard to become the best soldier he can be. Mark Schmitz spoke of his son. His life was so important. It is so hard to believe that I will never be able see him as the man he was rapidly growing into.


Staff Sergeant. Taylor Hoover (Utah) had served 11 years in the Marines and was remembered by his father Darin Hoover as a hero.

Darin Hoover, a Salt Lake City suburbian, stated that he gave his life to protect those who can't, and doing what he loved, serving his country.

He stated that he had heard from Marines saying they were thankful for his son's sergeant.

Hoover stated that they look back at him and realize how much they have learned from him. He is a great leader.

Hoover stated that his son was a close friend of his sisters and loved his extended family. His father stated that he had a California girlfriend and lit up any room he entered.

Nate Thompson from Murray, Utah met Hoover for the first time when they were both playing Little League football at 10 years old. They were close friends throughout high school, when Hoover was a lineman. Thompson stated that he was not tall enough for the job, but that his heart and hardwork more than compensated for what he had in stature. He was a friend who was kind and selfless.

Taylor was always there for us if we were having trouble with grades, family problems, or on the field. Even though he's having trouble, he says he is always calm and collected.


Cpl. Cpl.

Page was born in Red Oak, Iowa and raised in Omaha. He joined the Marines in 2003 after graduating from Millard South High School. The family stated that Page is being mourned by his parents, stepmom, stepdad, four siblings, and grandparents.

The statement stated that Daegan will be remembered for his strong outer shell and huge heart. We are sorry for our loss, but we are grateful to the support of family and friends during this difficult time."


Sgt. Johanny Rosario Pichardo was being remembered in Lawrence, Massachusetts, where she lived as a widow and mother.

Jaime Melendez (director of veterans services in Lawrence), where Rosario went to high school, stated that we will not let her be forgotten.

Rosario was a member of the Naval Amphibious Force Task Force 51/5th Marine Expeditionary Brigade. They praised Rosario's work as supply chief in this spring.

Sonia Guzmn (ambassador of the Dominican Republic to the United States) tweeted that the Caribbean nation shared in the loss.

She tweeted in Spanish: Peace to your Soul!


Army Staff Sgt. Ryan Knauss is remembered as a funny, patriotic man who was eager to return home to his country.

Linnae Knauss, his stepmother, said that he was an intelligent and funny young man.

Knauss was stationed at Fort Bragg in North Carolina and was part of the 9th Psychological Operations Battalion or 8th Psychological Operations Group according to the Defense Department.

Wayne Knauss, Wayne's grandfather, described him as a motivated young man who loved his country. We will see him again in God's heaven because he was a believer.


Cpl. Hunter Lopez had hoped to follow the example of his parents and pursue a career as a law enforcer after his military service.

Sheriff Chad Bianco stated that he was a teenager who had participated in the Explorer program at Riverside County Sheriff's Department in Southern California. His mother and father are still there. He also planned to join the force himself.

Bianco stated in a statement that Hunter's tragic death has shocked them. Hunter chose to live a life of selflessness, sacrifice, service and selflessness just like his parents.

Lopez's mother, a deputy sheriff, is married to a captain.

Riverside sheriff's officers represented by the union said that Lopez will be deeply missed.

According to the Riverside Sheriffs Association, Hunter was the victim in a vicious act of evil. He was killed because he wore the uniform with pride and love. We feel the pain and sorrow of Hunter's death. He answered the call to defend, defend, and protect our country.


Lance Cpl. Lance Cpl.

He was just bold enough to do what he wanted to help others. Elizabeth Holguin, his mother, said that he was exactly who he was. According to the Laredo Morning News.

U.S. Rep. Henry Cuellar stated that Espinoza represented the American values of grit and dedication, service, honor, and valor. After graduating high school, Espinoza joined the military to protect our country and show his selflessness in service.

Cuellar concluded that the brave never die. He is a hero, Mr. Espinoza.


Melley reported from Los Angeles, while Hanson was from Helena. This report was contributed by John Seewer, Associated Press writer in Berlin Heights, Ohio, Tom Davies, Indianapolis, Adrian Sainz, Memphis, Tennessee, Janie Hart, Amy Forliti, in Minneapolis, Terry Wallace, in Dallas, Lindsay Whitehurst, Brady McCombs, Salt Lake City, Darlene Superville, and Robert Burns, Washington, D.C.