People like to eat special foods during the holidays. Many pet parents want to give their fur babies special treats as well.

Many popular holiday staple foods are dangerous to pets and I am a veterinary researcher.

Some of the most common food related crises we veterinarians encounter in the animal ER during the holidays are listed here.

Fatty food risks

The most popular holiday meal is turkey with gravy. Most dogs and cats agree that turkey is good.

Cats and dogs don't like the excess fat in turkey skin and the greasy food that comes with it. Pets that eat a lot of fats may develop pancreatitis, an inflammation of the pancreas, the organ that helps break down fat,Protein andCarbohydrates.

Pancreatitis causes the pancreas to malfunction and cause it to break down. If it's not treated, pancreatitis can affect other organs, such as the kidneys and the liver.

Is vomiting the most common symptom of pancreatitis? Pets with pancreatitis should be taken to the nearest veterinary hospital. The vet will perform a number of blood tests.

Dealing with the symptoms of pancreatitis is the majority of treatment for the disease. IV fluids and anti-nausea and pain medications are given to the pet in order to stop vomiting. Antibiotics and a special diet are possible.

Onion offenses and bread badness

If only turkey was the problem. Pets can be harmed by many holiday ingredients.

There are several allium species that can be healthy for people. Alliums are toxic for animals. A decrease in red blood cells can be caused by ingestion.

A few days after ingestion, there are a number of signs of hemolytic anemia.

Blood tests can be done to determine if a transfusion is necessary. The symptoms of allium intoxication can be addressed with IV fluids.

People should not feed their pets yeast-risen foods during the holiday season. The yeast in these foods can ferment in a pet's stomach and cause serious health problems. There is a risk of sudden drop in blood sugar, respiratory depression, seizures and cardiac arrest in pets if they are exposed to Ethanol toxicity.

Pet owners don't suspect metabolic acidosis until it's too late because it has few outward symptoms. If there is a chance that a pet has eaten cooked or raw yeast dough, get it to a vet immediately.

It's a good idea to keep alcoholic drinks out of the reach of pets.

No chocolate for pets

Chocolate is a favorite holiday treat.

Dogs and cats are exposed to substances that are toxic to humans. Children share their candy with their pets when they are treated for chocolate ingestion.

Chocolate intoxication is a condition in which chocolate accumulates in the body and can cause illness. There are a number of signs of chocolate intoxication in pets.

Pets are at risk of chocolate intoxication. The pet needs to have its stomach emptied in order to receive support therapy. The vet will want to know how much chocolate the pet ate, because some types of chocolate, such as baking chocolate, can cause more harm than good.

The cat or dog won't like chocolate because it has a lot of fat.

Grapes and dogs don't mix

What about fruit? Dogs often show up at holiday gatherings with grapes, both fresh and dehydrated, which are very toxic to them.

Tartaric acid in grapes or raisins can cause a serious disease. There are a number of signs that a dog is suffering from acute kidneys disease.

There is a serious disease in dogs. The pet should be rushed to a hospital if it is suspected. The treatment is usually limited to stabilizing the pet.

Sweet for people, poison to pets

Xylitol toxicity is one of the more common emergencies we veterinarians see, but it's still largely unknown to pet owners.

Sugar-free products often use xylitol. It's not safe for cats or dogs to eat it.

Ingesting even the smallest amount of Xylitol can cause a pet to have low blood sugar. Within 30 minutes, the pet will experience a number of symptoms, including vomiting, seizures, and loss of coordination of its limbs.

Emergency treatment for a pet with xylitol toxicity involves giving it IV fluids to raise it's blood sugar level and monitoring its progress.

Do you think the bottom line is correct? Several delicious foods that are safe for humans can be very dangerous for pets in general, not just cats and dogs.

If you want to make the holidays special for furry or feathery babies, give them treats from the pet food store or the doctor's office, and keep them away from the kitchen counter and garbage can.

Leticia Fanucchi is a clinical assistant professor of veterinary clinical sciences.

Under a Creative Commons license, this article is re-posted. The original article is worth a read.