The public release of the release candidate versions of the two operating systems will take place on October 24. The RC versions are released a week after the previous version.
The iOS 16 and iPadOS 16 profiles can be downloaded from the Apple Developer Center if you are a registered developer.
Live Activities is an interactive notification feature that allows you to keep an eye on things happening in real time from the Lock Screen and the Dynamic Island.
Live Activities can't be used at the moment as developers need to update their apps to add support, but it will be available when the new version of Apple's mobile operating system is released. It is possible for developers to get their apps ready with the ActivityKitAPI.
There is a new Clean Energy Charging feature in the US that is designed to be used when lower carbon emission electricity is available, as well as a new smart home standard that Apple plans to support this fall.
Interoperability between smart devices from different companies will be possible with Matter.
The official release notes are as follows.
This update introduces iCloud Shared Photo Library making it easy to keep your family photos up to date. This release also adds support for third party apps in Live Activities, support for Apple Fitness+ on iPhone even if you don't have an Apple Watch, and includes other features and bug fixes for your iPhone.
iCloud Shared Photo Library- Separate library for seamlessly sharing photos and videos with up to five other people- Setup rules allow you to easily contribute past photos based on start date or people in the photos when you set up or join a library- Library filters for quickly switching between viewing the Shared Library, your Personal Library, or both libraries together- Shared edits and permissions let everyone add, edit, favorite, caption, and delete photos
- Sharing toggle in Camera lets you choose to send photos you take straight to the Shared Library, or enable a setting to share automatically when other participants are detected nearby using Bluetooth
- Live Activities from third party apps are available in the Dynamic Island and on the Lock Screen for iPhone 14 Pro models
- Apple Fitness+ is supported on iPhone even if you don't have an Apple Watch
Wallet- Key sharing enables you to securely share car, hotel room, and other keys in Wallet using messaging apps such as Messages and WhatsApp
- Savings account enables Apple Card customers to grow their Daily Cash by depositing it in a high yield savings account
- Matter, the new smart home connectivity standard, is supported enabling a wide variety of smart home accessories to work together across ecosystems
Clean Energy Charging
- New setting that can try to reduce your carbon footprint by selectively charging when lower carbon emission electricity is available
- Reader controls are automatically hidden as you start reading
This update also includes bug fixes for your iPhone:- Deleted conversations may appear in the conversations list in Messages- Dynamic Island content is not available when using Reachability
- CarPlay may fail to connect when using a VPN app
The Stage Manager feature on the M1 iPad Pro and M1 iPad Air won't be limited to the M2 iPad Pro and M3 iPad Air in the future. Stage Manager's external display function has been removed in the current version of the software. Even though older iPad Pro models can use Stage Manager, external display support will still be limited to the M1 iPad models.
A visual indication of charge level was added to the battery status bar icon. The Lock Screen charging indicator was updated, as well as the battery and copy and paste bugs.
Changes to the Lock Screen customization interface, as well as a deletable wallet app, are included in the update.