A large area of storms located near the Yucatan Peninsula is likely to develop into a tropical depression in the coming days as it heads toward Florida, bringing a flash flood threat to the state.

1000x1000 (2)

There is an area of disturbed weather located near the Yucatan Peninsula.


The National Hurricane Center says there is a 70% chance of a tropical depression forming in the next 48 hours.

Heavy rain with the potential to cause flash flooding is expected to arrive in south Florida by Friday and continue into Saturday.

Up to 8 inches of rain are expected in south Florida from the system, though amounts could be higher in isolated areas.

The remnants of Hurricane Agatha slammed into the Pacific coast of Mexico on Monday as a Category 2 storm.

If the system reaches tropical storm strength, it will be called Tropical Storm Alex.

PLAY Forbes Business Full Screen About Connatix Michelin Lands In Toronto Read More Antitrust Merger Expert Says Spirit Acquisition By Frontier Or JetBlue Likely To Be Approved Read More In The NBA Playoffs, Players Win Games, But Teams Win Series Read More Read More Give The New Orleans Pelicans A Center And Watch Them Soar Read More Michigan Tries To Retain Industry Leadership In Fast Transition To EVs Read More 1/1 Skip Ad Continue watching after the ad Loading PodsVisit Advertiser websiteGO TO PAGE Michelin Lands In Toronto

The first day of the season is Monday. Some are suggesting that the season will be among the most active in history, with all major forecasters calling for an above-normal season. The government has put the odds of an above-average season at 65%, with a 25% chance for a near-normal season and 10% chance of a below-average season. The most Colorado State University has ever predicted is 19 named storms. An exceptional period of storm activity in the Atlantic basin has been a main factor in the forecasts. The 2020 season brought 30 named storms, making it the most active since record keeping began. The third most ever recorded in a single season saw 19 named storms.


The first named storms of the season have not formed prior to the official start of the season. The longest streak of storms was seven years.

A system to the northwest of the Bahamas is being monitored by the National Hurricane Center, but it is not expected to impact any major land areas.

Hurricane researchers issue their most active forecast ever.

Hurricane Agatha killed 11 people and left 20 missing in south Mexico.