- The United States Women’s National Team opens the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup against Thailand.
- The US is reigning champions and is seeking its fourth World Cup title.
- The roster features 23 players, 11 of whom are newcomers, and is filled with experience and depth.
- Carli Lloyd is the most experienced of the group in the World Cup. She’s played in 18 matches and has scored seven goals.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
The United States Women’s National Team (USWNT) begins its journey to becoming back-to-back FIFA Women’s World Cup champions on Tuesday afternoon with a match against Thailand.
After an early exit from the 2016 Rio Olympics where the team fell in the quarterfinals to Sweden on penalty kicks, the US has gone 39-3-4 since and are one of the teams to beat.
For the first time, the team will have two players who have reached 100 international goals or more in Carli Lloyd and Alex Morgan. The roster focuses around depth and experience at every position, while also featuring 11 newcomers to the World Cup stage.
Below we take you through each member of the US squad and how each can make a mark in this year’s Cup.