Leadership starts at home. The Home Depot annually hands out awards to their suppliers in recognition of new products that deliver efficiency and cost savings. They call it the “Innovation Awards.” The innovative products benefit professionals and do-it-yourselfers, two key customer segments for Home Depot.
This year, awards were distributed across several home improvement categories, including power equipment, bath and lighting. With this award program, Home Depot demonstrates real leadership in recognizing cutting-edge products in the home improvement industry.
The winners were:
Overall Winner: Cub Cadet Ultima Riding Mower. The zero-turn riding capability allows for faster mowing time. It raises the bar for durability without reducing operator’s comfort. According to management, it makes more even cuts with fewer clumps and stragglers.
First Runner-Up: Easily swappable vanity doors and drawers. The reversible doors, in the Home Decorators Collection by American Woodmark, can be swapped to the left or right side of the vanity. They are stylish and have a durable, solid technology top.
Second Runner-Up: An easy-to-install recessed changing lighting kit by Globehas five color temperatures. These slim, LED lights are dimmable to ten percent and save customers money by displaying 900 Lumens on only 15 watts of energy.
In addition, there were several other finalists. They included:
- A DeWalt battery compatible collection of lightweight, compact power tools from drills/drivers to saws and screwdrivers.
- Husky Welded Garage Cabinets byHyxion for garage storage. These cabinets come pre-assembled and are guaranteed for life.
- Jeld-Wen Fiberglass folding patio doors that use energy efficient glass and have a sleek, flat frame.
- Home Legend Water Resistant Bamboo flooring that is both stylish and sustainable.
- Milwaukee Packout tool storage with a stackable design that is durable and weatherproof to meet all jobsite conditions.
- ReVent bath fans are easy-to-install exhaust fans that allow installation from the inside, an easy job for a DIYer.
- Traeger Wi-Fi Pellet Grill with WIFIRE technology offers a deluxe grill experience. It can be controlled from an app on a smartphone. It could easily heat up or cool down cooking temperatures in just a few seconds.
At the luncheon in Atlanta, management recognized Back To the Roots for introducing a self-cleaning fish tank. That is certainly a valuable development for fish lovers.
Except for the Traeger Wi-Fi Pellet grill, I am somewhat dumbfounded as I list the rest of the innovations. The grill can be controlled from inside the house and really sounds terrific and very innovative. Beyond that, I was hoping for more innovative technology to be developed by Home Depot’s suppliers. Getting the award is a huge honor and assures the manufacturer a display in all of the 2,286 Home Depot stores worldwide. I hope that we see more innovative ideas recognized in the future.
The Home Depot has shown real leadership in creating this annual event to celebrate innovation. It shows they have the knowledge of the products they sell and make a commitment to encourage innovation of those products to stay in step with current demand. Customers trust Home Depot, and I hope that next year’s Innovation Awards will be even more impressive and meaningful.