Man accused of starting California wildfire promoted alt-right conspiracies

1

A man who was arrested this week in connection with starting one of the massive wildfires in California has a history of promoting alt-right conspiracy theories.

Forrest Gordon Clark, who local authorities have arrested and charged with two counts of felony arson and felony threatening to terrorize, spread a series of alt-right conspiracies on his personal Facebook page.

The posts, first uncovered by Forbes’ JJ MacNab who covers anti-government extremism, include messaging about “QAnon,” a wide-ranging and vague theory that includes conspiracies such as Democrats and prominent Hollywood figures orchestrating underground pedophile rings.claims special counsel Robert MuellerHillary ClintonHillary Diane Rodham ClintonAvenatti: ‘I’m exploring a run for the presidency’ GOP chairman readies Steele dossier subpoenas The handwritten notes exposing what Fusion GPS told DOJ about Trump MORE and former President Obama for their ties to such rings.Robert Swan MuellerSasse: US should applaud choice of Mueller to lead Russia probe MORE ‘s probe is a front for investigating 2016 Democratic presidential nominee

According to a ThinkProgress report, there has not been any evidence yet that Clark was among QAnon supporters who have increasingly been present at President TrumpDonald John TrumpKobach agrees to recuse himself from vote counting in Kansas GOP primary NFL players kneel during national anthem before first preseason game Schiff blasts GOP for Russia probe conduct: ‘That’s how you obstruct an investigation, not how you conduct one’ MORE ‘s rallies.

Clark was also found to be a fan of Alex Jones and his controversial conspiracy-pushing platform, InfoWars, which was banned by Apple and Facebook this week after it was found in violation of the sites’ policies on hate speech.

The Washington Post reported Thursday that Clark texted a firefighter in the area before the fire began, writing that “this place is going to burn just like we planned,” though it is unclear who “we” encompasses. The firefighter told the Post that he had been reporting “problems” with Clark to the sheriff’s office and U.S. Forest Service for more than three years, including the most recent text message he reportedly received from Clark.

Clark is being held on $1 million bond.