Judge says Trump admin acted in bad faith with citizenship question, lets lawsuit proceed

7

A federal judge on Tuesday allowed a lawsuit challenging the Trump administration’s addition of a citizenship question to the 2020 census to go forward.

Judge Jesse Furman of the Southern District of New York criticized the administration, saying that there was “strong” evidence that they acted in bad faith, according to a statement from New York Attorney General Barbara Underwood.

Underwood praised Furman’s decision, saying that her office is “proud” to lead the coalition challenging the question.

“Today marked a major win in our lawsuit to protect the Census, with a federal judge ordering the Trump administration to provide vital information on how the decision to demand citizenship status was made, and what it may mean for New Yorkers and Americans across the country,” she wrote.

Commerce secretary Wilbur RossWilbur Louis RossDem pollster: ‘Majority of parents think their kids will be worse off’ Trump defends tariff moves as allies strike back On The Money: Ross downplays US leaving WTO | Why Trump isn’t talking a lot about the stock market now | Trump takes aim at EU on trade MORE approved the addition of the question in March, despite objections from Democrats and immigration advocates who have said that it will discourage people from filling out the questionnaire.

The Trump administration has defended the question, saying that it will allow the Justice Department to better enforce the Voting Rights Act.

A coalition of Democratic state attorneys general, led by New York, filed a lawsuit challenging the addition earlier this year, and is one of several legal challenges brought against the administration. The U.S. census has not asked a question on citizenship in decades.

Furman ordered the Department of Commerce to produce additional documents explaining the rationale behind Ross’ decision by July 23, and granted Underwood’s request for discovery, according to her statement.