- Joe Biden’s campaign is demanding that major TV news networks stop booking US President Donald Trump’s personal lawyer, Rudy Giuliani, on their programs, according to The Daily Beast.
- A letter sent Sunday called for the networks to stop booking Giuliani, whom the letter accused of spreading lies about Biden.
- The letter listed appearances in which Giuliani brought up debunked information about Biden.
- “We write to demand that in service to the facts, you no longer book Rudy Giuliani, a surrogate for Donald Trump who has demonstrated that he will knowingly and willingly lie in order to advance his own narrative,” the letter said.
- The letter was sent to key leaders at networks including ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, Fox News, and MSNBC on Sunday, Deadline reported.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Joe Biden’s campaign apparently wants Rudy Giuliani removed from the airwaves.
Two top aides for the former vice president, now a frontrunner in the Democratic presidential race, demanded in a letter sent Sunday that execs and anchors at major TV news outlets stop booking Giuliani on their programs, Maxwell Tani at The Daily Beast reports.
The letter accused Giuliani, who is the personal lawyer to US President Donald Trump, of spreading lies about Biden.
The letter listed appearances in which Giuliani peddled debunked information about Biden. In one such example, Giuliani brought up a conspiracy theory that alleged Biden, while vice president, pushed for the ouster of Ukraine’s top prosecutor mainly to benefit Biden’s son, Hunter Biden, who was serving on the board of a Ukrainian gas company.
Fact-checkers at The Washington Post and elsewhere found that the prosecutor had not been investigating the company at the time he was forced to step down. And others in the global community were also calling for the prosecutor’s exit because he was seen as turning a blind eye to corruption in the country. Ukrainian officials have said there was no evidence of wrongdoing by the Bidens.
“While you often fact check his statements in real time during your discussions, that is no longer enough,” said the letter from Anita Dunn and Kate Bedingfield, two top Biden aides, according to The Daily Beast. “By giving him your air time, you are allowing him to introduce increasingly unhinged, unfounded and desperate lies into the national conversation.”
The letter went on to say: “We write to demand that in service to the facts, you no longer book Rudy Giuliani, a surrogate for Donald Trump who has demonstrated that he will knowingly and willingly lie in order to advance his own narrative.”
The letter insisted that a Biden surrogate be given equal time on any program that did decide to book Giuliani going forward.
The letter was sent to presidents, anchors, and executive producers of major TV networks including ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, Fox News, and MSNBC, reported Ted Johnson at Deadline, who also obtained a copy of the letter from a source in the campaign.
Biden’s campaign did not immediately return Business Insider’s request for comment.