Fox News anchor Chris Wallace said he was “struck” by the reception of and first lady upon their arrival at the funeral for George H.W. Bush on Wednesday, saying “a chill had descended” on the front row that included the Clintons, Obamas and Carters.
“I have to say I was struck when President Trump and Melania Trump came to the front row, that it was as if a chill had descended on that front row,” Wallace said on Fox’s “America’s Newsroom” during live coverage of the Bush state funeral at Washington National Cathedral.
“You had seen a lot of chatty talk between the Clintons and the Obamas, the Carters. But when Donald Trump sat down, the greeting that he was given by and was about as cool as it could have been.”
Trump and the first lady greeted the Obamas and shook hands when sitting down next to them in the front row of the service for Bush, who passed away last Friday at the age of 94. There was no greeting between the Trumps and Clintons, who sat farther down the row.
Trump next to the Obamas and Clintons pic.twitter.com/nqyepXWF8q
– Zach Wolf (@zbyronwolf) December 5, 2018
What an image. An awkward moment for sure, as Hillary Clinton nodded toward Melania Trump. Some cold stares, but also remarkable that an event can bring this group of people together, at least physically. pic.twitter.com/PY1vOb55pZ
– Michael D. Shear (@shearm) December 5, 2018
Hillary won’t even dignify Donald with a glance pic.twitter.com/9z7Smu9rNu
– Roland Scahill (@rolandscahill) December 5, 2018
wow. what a moment. Trump’s handshake with Obama, Michelle’s expression, and a slight Clinton snub? – all in the front row pic.twitter.com/1CFOTd5l4l
– J.D. Durkin (@jiveDurkey) December 5, 2018
The Trumps are seated next to:
1) The president Trump said was illegitimate (Obama)
2) The president he said assaulted women (Clinton)
3) The first lady/SoS he said should be in jail (Hillary)
4) The president he said was the second-worst, behind Obama (Carter) pic.twitter.com/J63WVhs7HU
– Aaron Blake (@AaronBlake) December 5, 2018
Trump, Melania, Obama and Michelle shake hands.
Melania shakes hands with Bill.
No shakes from Hillary
(too far down the bench?) pic.twitter.com/pL3FDIJbRJ
– Benny (@bennyjohnson) December 5, 2018
Reunions are so awkward pic.twitter.com/m5tvLZ075h
– The Daily Show (@TheDailyShow) December 5, 2018
Stone-faced Hillary Clinton IGNORES Donald Trump as he and Melania arrive at George H.W. Bush’s funeral https://t.co/MkxcPgWTeF pic.twitter.com/5KoUQZwpQG
– Daily Mail US (@DailyMail) December 5, 2018
Bush will be laid to rest at his presidential library at Texas A&M University in College Station, Texas, on Thursday.