Go to Settings > Labels to create or edit folders.
Gmail uses labels to organize email messages instead of folders. However, labels work in the same way as folders.
A label can be created from both a desktop email and the Gmail mobile application.
For more stories, visit Insider's Tech Reference Library.
Loading... Click to sign up for Insider marketing emails. You also agree to receive partner offers.
For keeping your inbox organized, folders are essential. Although labels are used in Gmail instead of folders they are the exact same thing. Gmail allows you to apply multiple labels to one email, unlike folders.
You can use a label to act as a folder by using the "Move To" option. This will move an email or thread from your inbox to a label. It is accessible in the left panel.
For example, all work-related emails to a client can go into one folder and emails related to wedding planning can go in another. Labels can be nested under each other to create subfolders.
Here are the steps.
How to create a folder on your desktop in Gmail
1. Go to the Gmail website. If you haven't already, log in to your Gmail account.
2. 2.Click the gear-shaped Settings icon in the top-right corner of the screen and then select See all settings.
To create, edit, or delete folders, select "See all Settings". Abigail Abesamis Demarest
3. Scroll down to the Labels tab and click Create a new label.
4. Click Create and enter the name of your label. Click the box next Nest label under to select the folder where you wish the new label will nest.
Maximum 225 characters can be used for label names. Abigail Abesamis Demarest
Quick tip: Create a label directly from an email by clicking on the Labels icon and then click on Create new.
How to create folders in Gmail mobile app
1. Open Gmail on your iPhone, iPad or Android. If you haven't already, log in to your account.
2. 2. Tap the three horizontal lines at the top-left corner of the screen.
3. Scroll down to Labels, and then tap Create New.
Scroll down past the list to create a new label. Abigail Abesamis Demarest
4. Enter the name of your label in the pop-up menu (maximum 225 characters) and then click Done.
Quick tip: You can also create labels from emails by tapping on the three dots icon in the upper-right corner of the screen. Tap Move and then tap the plus (+ symbol).
How to apply labels in Gmail
1. Click the boxes to the right of your Gmail desktop inbox and click Label. Tap the circular profile icon for the sender in your Gmail mobile app. Next, tap the three dots icon and choose Label in the popup.
2. Both on mobile and desktop, click the check boxes that correspond to the labels you wish to apply. You can select more than one. Click Apply on desktop and tap the checkmark to apply labels on mobile.
You can organize your Gmail inbox with labels. Abigail Abesamis Demarest
Quick tip: To move a labeled message from your inbox into the label folder, click on the Move to icon instead. Next, click on the name the folder where you wish to move it. You can only select one destination folder.
Filtering to apply labels automatically
1. Click the Show search options icon in your Gmail desktop inbox. It looks like three hatched line icons on the right side search bar.
2. 2.Set the filter parameters. Filter by Subject, From, To, Subject.
3. Click Create Filter after you have set the criteria.
Automated filters allow you to quickly organize and locate relevant emails without the need to manually label each one. Abigail Abesamis Demarest
4. Next, click on the box next To apply the label. Then choose a label from a drop-down menu.
5. 5. Click Create Filter.
Select "Apply the Label" and select the label from the drop-down. Abigail Abesamis Demarest
How to edit and delete a label
1. Click the gear-shaped Settings icon in the top-right corner of your Gmail inbox. Next, select See all settings.
2. Scroll down to the Labels section in the Labels tab.
3. Click on the label name to edit it. Enter the new name and hit the Enter key or the Return key. You can also click on the appropriate edit button under the Actions tab. This window also allows you to modify the nesting properties of a label.
This section of the Settings menu allows you to add, delete and edit labels. Abigail Abesamis Demarest
4. Click the appropriate button under the Actions tab to delete a label. Then click Delete.
1. Tap the three horizontal lines at the top of the Gmail app.
2. Scroll down to tap Settings.
3. Next, choose the email address to which you wish to apply the change.
4. Scroll down to the next page, and choose Label settings from the Labels section.
Click on "Label settings." Grace Eliza Goodwin/Insider
5. Tap the Label Settings Page to edit or remove the label.
Choose the label that you wish to edit. Grace Eliza Goodwin/Insider
6. Tap the Name field for a new name or tap the Delete [label] button at bottom to remove the label.
You can edit or remove your label here. Grace Eliza Goodwin/Insider