Image Credits: Bryce Durbin/TechCrunch

The advice column that answers immigration-related questions about working at technology companies is called "DEAR SOCIETY"

A Silicon Valley immigration attorney says that your questions are vital to the spread of knowledge that allows people all over the world to rise above borders. I would be happy to answer your questions in my next column.

You can purchase a one- or two-year subscription for 50% off with the promo code AlCORN.

I would like to ask you a question, DearSophie.

I'm in India I would like to apply to American universities next year to study computer science and artificial intelligence and eventually work in the U.S. Is there anything I can do to prepare?

The student was spirited.

Dear spirited.

I would like to thank you for contacting me with your questions. I wish you the best of luck for the future. Before diving into your questions, I want to give you a little background on student visas.

Student visas

Three main types of visas for students are available.

  • The F-1 student visa is for full-time students enrolled at an American college or university or an English language program in the U.S. The program must lead to a degree or diploma and be approved by the Student and Exchange Visitors Program (SEVP) of the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).
  • The J-1 educational and cultural exchange visa is available to full-time college or university students who need practical training that is not available in their home country to complete their academic program.
  • The M-1 student visa is for students who are attending a technical, vocational or non-academic school.

You will most likely be eligible for an F-1 visa if the university is approved by the SEVP. If you want to find a school on the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's school search map, reference this list.

Up to one year of on-campus employment is possible with the F-1 visa. You can work part time while you get your degree and full time once you graduate. The majority of students choose to complete their degree and work full time. The students who graduate with a degree in computer science are able to work for two more years under the program.