Trump’s reported new nickname for his attorney general has people divided.
President Donald Trump has reportedly taken to calling Attorney General Jeff Sessions Mr. Magoo, causing the classic bumbling cartoon character’s name to trend on Twitter late Wednesday.
The report in The Washington Post led to some decidedly mixed feelings on social media. Some said the comment was was just more bullying by the president while others ― even some critics ― admitted to laughing at the insult:
We have a president with the maturity of a five-year-old. A child dictator who never grew up.
WaPo: Trump refers to Jeff Sessions as ‘Mr. Magoo’ @CNNPolitics https://t.co/cWelUwnYy0
– Richard W. Painter (@RWPUSA) March 1, 2018
when you think it’s childish that the president has derisive nicknames for all his perceived enemies but then see that his nickname for Jeff Sessions is “Mr. Magoo” https://t.co/YnfZh03l2J pic.twitter.com/yESsq57eGc
– Dave Itzkoff (@ditzkoff) March 1, 2018
This is his only good nickname
– Ike Barinholtz (@ikebarinholtz) March 1, 2018
So Trump refers to Sessions as ‘Mr. Magoo’ and I think this is so unbecoming the Office of the Presidency. SIDE NOTE: That nickname is totally sticking once this nightmare is over. https://t.co/wg6a8zdJBY
– Amee Vanderpool (@girlsreallyrule) March 1, 2018
If Melania is still wants to end cyber bullying, she should address the way Trump speaks to Sessions. While Mr. Magoo is no saint, this does highlight the fact that Trump’s insult parade is insulting to all Americans.#JeffSessions #CyberBullying #Bullyinghttps://t.co/wvyy8kd0Ec
– Theory of BevryThing (@Bevrything) March 1, 2018
I loved Mr. Magoo as a kid. (Voiced by the great Jim Bacchus, aka Thurston Howell III.)
Somehow, though, Dumb-Dumb calling Session Mr. Magoo is like the pot calling the kettle black. #TheyreAllBumbling pic.twitter.com/nrDG8fWp7Z
– gar mcvey-russell (@the_gar_spot) March 1, 2018
Y’all I’m dead: Trump keeps referring to Sessions as “Mr. Magoo,” per WaPo https://t.co/IMgBIAeXHp pic.twitter.com/npWLYPiWmR
– Astead (@AsteadWesley) March 1, 2018
When I saw people referring to Sessions as Mr Magoo on twitter I kind of groaned a bit because the name calling gets old and isn’t constructive. I never considered this possibility.
– Andrew Schultz (@AnAndrewSchultz) March 1, 2018
He calls his rivals and other leaders names like:
Low energy Jeb
But sure…we teenagers are the ones who are too “immature” to be involved in politics.
– Emilia (@PoliticalEmilia) March 1, 2018
Now all millennials are now googling “Mr. Magoo” 😂😂😂
– Shivonne (@scentedwildrose) March 1, 2018
Trump calls his Atty General Jeff Sessions “Mr. Magoo”: unbelievable! The man is a backstabber, a traitor & a bully. https://t.co/R1mhyapKib
– A Positive Outlook (@TheMotivatorCat) March 1, 2018
– and that’s only what the president calls his staff and allies.
– Dan Diamond (@ddiamond) March 1, 2018
Mr. Magoo isn’t a racist though. https://t.co/NiSrhNNBNe
– Schooley (@Rschooley) March 1, 2018
Gotta admit, this got a chuckle out of me… https://t.co/HpPdKlRMoO
– Liberal Cynic (@Liberal_Cynic) March 1, 2018
An insult to Mr Magoo
– Jay B (@The_Jay_Burns) March 1, 2018
Mr. Magoo: “Turn on the Tweeter, baby, I’m trending!” pic.twitter.com/FVXyn2c96S
– Ryan McSwain (@ryanmcswain) March 1, 2018