2¼ cups all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
¾ cup light brown sugar
1 large egg
⅓ cup molasses
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup turbinado sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 375º. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk to combine the flour, salt, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cardamom and cloves. Set aside.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter and brown sugar on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the egg and mix to incorporate, then mix in the molasses and vanilla, scraping the bowl as needed.
4. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the flour mixture until just combined. Roll the dough into 1-inch balls, toss in the turbinado sugar to coat and place on the baking sheet about 2 inches apart from each other. Gently press down on the dough balls to flatten them slightly.
5. Bake until the bottoms and edges of the cookies are golden brown and set, and the tops begin to crack, 8 to 10 minutes
6. Remove the cookies from the oven and let them cool on the sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool further before serving.