Man wanted in gang beating of black man in Charlottesville cuffed


An alleged white supremacist wanted for a vicious Charlottesville attack on a defenseless black man was busted by U.S. marshals in his home state of Arkansas, authorities said.

Suspect Jacob Goodwin, 22, was arrested Tuesday at 7:06 p.m. on a warrant issued by Virginia authorities for the racially-motivated Aug. 12 beatdown of the outnumbered DeAndre Harris inside a parking garage.

Goodwin, a resident of tiny Ward, Ark., was in custody at the Lonoke County Jail pending his return to Virginia to face unspecified charges in connection with the violent “Unite The Right” rally.

Goodwin is the third man charged in the attack, along with Daniel P. Borden, 18, of Ohio, and Alex Michael Ramos, 33, of Georgia.

Deandre Harris beaten by Charlottesville white supremacists


Goodwin traveled from Arkansas to join the racist marchers massed in the Virginia college town.

A videotape of the attack by five white men on the black victim received tens of thousands of YouTube hits, with Goodwin identified as one of Harris’ assailants.

The suspect was wearing two pins during the beating: One honoring Adolf Hitler, the other bearing the logo of a white nationalist group called the Traditionalist Worker Party.

Goodwin was wearing a military-style helmet and toting a plastic shield during the savage assault as white nationalists descended on Charlottesville.

Teen busted for beating Deandre Harris at Charlottesville rally

Counter-protester Heather Hyer, 32, was killed and 19 people injured when a neo-Nazi plowed his silver Dodge Challenge into a crowd of people.

On Monday, a Virginia magistrate’s office issued a warrant for Harris on a charge of with unlawful wounding after a lawyer and self-described “Southern nationalist” accused the black man of hitting him with a flashlight.

(Zach D. Roberts/AP)

Harris, 20, needed eight staples to close a gash in his head after he was punched and pummeled with fists and a metal flagpole.

Harris, who suffered a concussion and a broken wrist, said he passed out several times during the unrelenting assault.

Send a Letter to the Editor