FBI chief offers new, detailed timeline on Porter background check

5

FBI Director Christopher Wray offered a new timeline on the background check for former White House staff secretary Rob Porter, saying the investigation ended in July but that new information was then provided to the White House in November and January.

Wray in response to questions from Sen. Ron WydenRonald (Ron) Lee WydenWATCH: Dems say Trump will look like he has something to hide if he avoids Muller interview House funding bill includes bipartisan Medicare reforms Trump approves Indiana Medicaid work requirements MORE (D-Ore.) said that investigators submitted a partial report on their investigation of Porter as far back as March 2017.

“I can’t get into the content of what was briefed, what I can tell you is the FBI submitted a partial report on the investigation in question in March, and then a completed background investigation in late July,” he said.

“Soon thereafter we received request for follow-up inquiry and we did the follow-up and provided that information in November and then we administratively closed the file in January. And then earlier this month, we received additional information and we passed that on as well.”

It’s unclear what new information was provided to the FBI after it completed the initial background investigation in July.

Porter resigned last week after allegations from two ex-wives that he abused them became public.

The White House has been roiled with questions about when it knew of the allegations against Porter, and how he maintained a roll where he had access to classified papers.

Officials from the White House have offered conflicting stories on whey the learned about the allegations against Porter.

Wray said he is “confident” the bureau followed the decades long set of standards for conducting such a background briefing on a White House staffer.

“There is a limit to what I can say about any particular background investigation. The background investigation process involves a fairly elaborate set of guidelines, protocols, agreements, et cetera that have been in place for 20 plus years. And I am quite confident in this particular instance that the FBI followed the established protocols.”

Press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders told reporters on Monday that the White House learned the full extent of the Porter allegations last Tuesday.

She added that the background check process was still ongoing.

–Jordan Fabian contributed to this report, which was updated at 11:29 a.m.