Selena Gomez took to Instagram on Thursday to reveal that she had received a kidney transplant over the summer. “It was what I needed to do for my overall health,” she wrote, adding that the transplant was related to her Lupus and that she has been recovering for “several months.”
She thanked her family, the “incredible” team of doctors, and her “beautiful friend” Francia Raisa, who donated her kidney. Below, more on that “beautiful friend.”
1. Francia and Selena have been friends since 2008. In 2016, Francia dedicated a lengthy Instagram post to Selena for her 24th birthday. “There are so many moments we have and things you do that I cherish and don’t take for granted,” she wrote. “Whether its crying, laughing, or simply sitting on my kitchen floor throwing our hands up in the air confused at life, I’m thankful you’re always there.”
2. They consider each other sisters from another mother. No really, they love to call each other “sister” or “hermana.” In 2015, Francia revealed that Selena gave her a necklace that said “a sister is a forever friend” when they first met.
3. Francia played Adrian on The Secret Life of the American Teenager. Her TV resume also includes guest appearances on The Mindy Project, Dear White People, and CSI: Crime Scene Investigation. In 2006, she played Leti the cheerleader in the third Bring It On movie, All or Nothing, starring Solange and Hayden Panettiere.
4. She also has music video credits. She’s appeared in Lil’ Romeo’s “My Girlfriend,” Iyaz’s “So Big,” and MAX’s “Gibberish.”
5. Francia danced beside Selena and their BFFs in that “Douchebag” video. You know the one.
6. She’s obsessed with her doggo.
7. Francia is a huge fan of The Bachelor franchise and WWE. And she’s extremely active on Twitter when the shows are on.
8. She’s supported Selena through thick and thin.
Here’s Francia at premiere of the Justin Bieber documentary Never Say Never in 2011.
Francia also accompanied SelGo to the third annual Unlikely Heroes Awards in 2014.
Last year’s Revival Tour:
Here’s Francia at the premiere of 13 Reasons Why in March 2017.
And here’s what Francia wrote on Twitter when her friend covered Vogue.
9. Francia will next appear on Grown-ish, the highly anticipated Black-ish spinoff. She’ll play Ana, an “outspoken conservative freshman” at SCU. Episode one looks fantastic, BTW.
Follow Peggy on Twitter and Cosmo Celeb on Facebook.