At least 14 victims, suspect detained in Fla. high school shooting

3

There are “at least 14 victims” and a suspected gunman is in custody following a shooting at a South Florida high school on Wednesday, according to authorities.

“So far we have at least 14 victims. Victims have been and continue to be transported to Broward Health Medical Center and Broward Health North hospital,” the Broward County Sheriff’s office said in a tweet.

It was unclear if the victims were injured or dead.

Broward County Public Schools Superintendent Robert Runcie told reporters that there were “numerous fatalities” from the shooting.

“It is a horrific situation It’s just a horrible day for us,” he said.

Florida Sens. Bill NelsonMarco RubioMarco Antonio RubioTrump must send Russia powerful message through tougher actions McCain, Coons immigration bill sparks Trump backlash Taking a strong stance to protect election integrity MORE (R) said they both were in contact with the superintendent. Clarence (Bill) William NelsonInterior head to travel to Carolinas to discuss off shore drilling Overnight Finance: Trump touts trade agenda in State of the Union address | Consumer Bureau ruled constitutional | Fed leaves rates unchanged Green group backs Sens. Baldwin, Nelson for reelection MORE (D) and

“This is a bad day for Florida and for the country,” Nelson said.

“Today is that terrible day you pray never comes,” Rubio wrote on Twitter.

Just spoke to Broward School Superintendent. Today is that terrible day you pray never comes.

– Marco Rubio (@marcorubio) February 14, 2018

Aerial footage of the school broadcast by local news stations showed people being treated for injuries and several lying on the ground, while a number of students were seen running away from the school as authorities cleared buildings, letting students go.

The sheriff’s office tweeted that the suspected shooter was in custody.

Shooter is now in custody. Scene is still active. #stonemanshooting

– Broward Sheriff (@browardsheriff) February 14, 2018

President TrumpDonald John TrumpTillerson: Russia already looking to interfere in 2018 midterms Dems pick up deep-red legislative seat in Missouri Speier on Trump’s desire for military parade: ‘We have a Napoleon in the making’ MORE said on Twitter he was in contact with Florida Gov. Rick Scott (R) and offered his “prayers and condolences to the families of the victims.”

Just spoke to Governor Rick Scott. We are working closely with law enforcement on the terrible Florida school shooting.

– Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 14, 2018

My prayers and condolences to the families of the victims of the terrible Florida shooting. No child, teacher or anyone else should ever feel unsafe in an American school.

– Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 14, 2018

White House spokeswoman Lindsay Walters said the president was “monitoring the situation” in southern Florida while the White House also canceled its daily press briefing that had already been delayed, citing the shooting.

According to Miami’s CBS4, the fire department is preparing for a mass casualty situation, and the Margate Fire Department estimates as many as 20 to 50 people could be injured.

Updated at 5:03 p.m.